Recreational fossicking

New mineral industries regulations commence on 1 July 2019. This page is being reviewed and may require updates.

image of people's hands panning in muddy water

Recreational prospecting and fossicking is looking for and collecting gems or minerals with hand tools. This includes looking for gold using metal detectors or pans.

Fossicking is a regulated activity in Victoria and requires a permit known as a miner's right.

Permits are not needed at tourist mines and similar sites that charge a fee for entry.


Miner's right

If you want to fossick in Victoria, you need a current fossicking permit known as a miner's right. A Miner's right allows you to remove and keep minerals discovered on Crown Land, your own land or private land (where the landowner has given permission).

A 10-year miner's right costs $25.20 and is for individuals only (not businesses). You can purchase a miner's right online or through an agent.

Children under the age of 18 years do not need a license when accompanied by an adult holding a Miner’s Right.

Make sure you follow the fossicking rules on where you can prospect and how you are expected to care for the environment.

Tourist Fossicking Authority

Tourism operators can purchase a Tourist Fossicking Authority (TFA) which allows their customers to search for minerals.

The fossicking authority only applies to the land that you identify in your application. If you are applying for a TFA on private land, you need landholder consent.

A Tourist Fossicking Authority costs $92.50 and is valid for up to 10 years.

Make sure you are familiar with the land access rules and your legal obligations before you apply.

Page last updated: 12 Aug 2019