Oil and gas permits, leases and licences

New extractive industries regulations commence on 26 January 2020. This page is being reviewed and may require updates.

In Victoria you need a licence for oil or gas exploration and development.

Oil and gas permits are only offered through a State Government Tender process. Any upcoming tenders will be announced on the Oil and gas acreage releases page.

The usual practice is to release areas at the annual Australian Petroleum Production and Exploration (APPEA) conference. In exceptional circumstances acreage may be released out of cycle.

Find out how to acquire petroleum acreage in Victoria.

More information

Page last updated: 22 Oct 2019