Manage your licence

New mineral industries regulations commence on 1 July 2019. This page is being reviewed and may require updates.

You can submit and manage most licence or work authority applications online using our Resource Rights Allocation and Management (RRAM) portal.

RRAM allows you to manage your licence applications, renewals and fee payments online. You can submit a work plan or report, and check the progress of an application.

Before using RRAM for the first time, you will need to create an account.

If you are unsure of your RRAM login details, contact RRAM support.

Licence types

+ Expand all- Collapse all

An exploration licence gives the licence holder exclusive rights to explore for specific minerals within the specified licence area.

No mining activities can be undertaken on an exploration licence.

A retention licence is suitable where a mineral resource is identified but the resource is not yet commercially viable to mine but may become so in the future. Or the resource is required to support an existing mining operation in the future.

A mining licence holder is entitled to mine the land covered by the licence; explore for minerals and construct mining facilities related to the mining operation.

Prospecting licences allow prospectors and small-scale miners to explore or mine in an area less than 5 hectares.

In the extractive or quarry industry, a licence is known as a work authority. You need a work authority before starting works at a quarry.

A Miner's Right is used for hobbyist prospectors and fossickers to search for minerals, similar to a fishing licence.

Oil and gas permits are only offered through a State Government Tender process.

Geothermal exploration permits are only offered through a State Government Tender process.

RRAM terms

Our online portal RRAM uses a number of terms that are specific to the earth resources industry and to the administration of earth resources in Victoria. View a list of terms that commonly appear in RRAM.

Contact us

Get in touch via email if you have any questions about RRAM.

For technical RRAM support, including account enquiries, contact RRAM Support.


If you are unable to access RRAM, forms are available to apply for new permits and make changes to current permits.

Page last updated: 13 May 2019