Geological Survey of Victoria (GSV) collects geophysical data from across the state. Our datasets aid exploration of earth resources and assist explorers in targeting areas with minerals potential.
Geophysical Data Packages are available online and comprise data from the whole state as well as within specific locations.
The Victoria - Gridded Airborne Geophysical Data. Located and Gridded Gravity data package includes:
- Airborne geophysical data: statewide airborne magnetic and radiometric data compiled from open file government and company surveys. Gridded data in Earth Resource (ER) Mapper format and pre-prepared images of the gridded data.
- Gravity data: statewide Bouguer anomaly gravity data compiled from open file government, company and university surveys. ASCII located data (onshore only), gridded data in ER Mapper format and pre-prepared images of the gridded data
(onshore and offshore).
- Airborne survey metadata: Digital Airborne Surveys Index Map. This map shows locations and gives specifications for all digital airborne geophysical surveys in Victoria.
An Airborne Gravity Survey was also carried out for the Gippsland Nearshore (coastal) region as part of a feasibility study for the Carbon Capture and Storage initiative in the Gippsland Basin of Victoria.
Reports and data
You can download the following datasets from Earth Resources Publications:
You'll find a full account of Victoria's mineral deposits in Geological Survey of Victoria Report 119 - Geophysical Signatures of Base Metal Deposits in Victoria.
The report describes:
- signatures of volcanic hosted massive sulphides
- copper associated with greenstone belts
- porphyry-type copper, carbonate-hosted base metals and copper mineralisation associated with iron deposits in various parts of the state.
Geoscience Australia's Geophysical Archive Data Delivery System
Geoscience Australia’s Geophysical Archive Data Delivery System provides magnetic, radiometric, gravity and digital elevation data from Australian national, state and territory government geophysical data archives.
Page last updated: 22 Oct 2019