Earth Resources Regulation
In response to coronavirus (COVID-19), the Earth Resources Regulation office at 1 Spring Street will be closed to the public until further notice. We encourage you to submit any applications or variations online via the RRAM portal.
We are experiencing a high volume of applications and enquiries. This may result in longer than usual processing times. We appreciate your patience as our team implements changes to manage the demand and improve processing times.
Please help us to manage the workload by avoiding phoning the team directly and where possible, direct any enquiries via email.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) relief - variations to mineral licence conditions
Earth Resources Regulation is Victoria's regulator of exploration, mining, quarrying, petroleum, recreational prospecting and other earth resource activities.
Our role is to ensure earth resources activities are conducted safely to protect people, property, infrastructure and the environment.
We assess and authorise earth resource projects that create business and job opportunities, particularly in rural and regional areas of Victoria.
We enforce laws to ensure that mine, quarry and petroleum operators fulfil their obligations to safeguard the community and environment.
Earth Resources Regulation is implementing a major reform program in response to the Commissioner for Better Regulation's report Getting the Groundwork Right. We are making changes to improve our performance.
We operate under legislation that enables us to:
- Authorise earth resources exploration, production and other activities that provide jobs and support the Victorian economy.
- Regulate these activities to protect local communities and the environment.
We do this through:
- Assessing and approving applications for operations or works
- Education and enforcement activities
- Community and industry engagement.
How we work
- We have expertise in the earth resources field and draw on additional expertise when required.
- Our activities and functions are underpinned by assessing and managing risk.
- Our regulatory work is guided by a Ministerial Statement of Expectations that sets out government's priorities and objectives. We report annually on actions to fulfil these expectations.
- Our community engagement is guided by our Stakeholder Engagement Charter
Where we are
We operate in five regions across Victoria, with offices in Ballarat, Benalla, Bendigo, Traralgon and Melbourne. Our head office will be moving to the new Latrobe Valley GovHub in Morwell by the end of 2020.
Working with other regulators and agencies
We work closely with other regulators and government agencies to ensure a whole-of-government approach to the regulation of Victoria's earth resources industries. These working relationships facilitate decision making and a clear and open regulatory context for industry and the community.
Earth Resources Regulation works with the following government organisations:
- Environment Protection Authority Victoria (EPA)
- Worksafe Victoria
- Country Fire Authority (CFA)
- Emergency Management Victoria
- Latrobe Valley Regional Rehabilitation Commissioner
- Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP)
- Parks Victoria
- Catchment management and water authorities
- National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority (NOPSEMA)
- National Offshore Petroleum Titles Administrator (NOPTA)
- Local councils across Victoria
We have agreements about how we work together with:
- Environment Protection Authority Victoria
- Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
- WorkSafe Victoria
Earth Resources Regulation newsletter
Subscribe to the Earth Resources Regulation email newsletter to keep informed of activities and changes that affect the earth resources sector in Victoria.
Page last updated: 29 Jun 2021