We welcome hearing from you, whether it's a complaint, enquiry, feedback or you have an objection to a minerals licence application. We'd like the opportunity to help you.
Our commitment to you
We are committed to having an effective complaints management system that meets the needs, expectations and rights of our stakeholders.
We manage complaints about licensed Earth Resources Regulation sites or about sites operating illegally without approval.
We also manage complaints about the actions or decisions of our employees who are not Authorised Officers.
Complaints typically involve allegations about licence holders not complying with legislation, conditions, work plans or other relevant requirements.
Can I make an anonymous complaint?
No. If you don't give us a way to contact you, we are unable to investigate your complaint further.
We will not disclose your name or personal details when investigating a complaint. When submitting a complaint you must include one of the following so we can contact you:
- email address
- telephone number
- street address.
Complaints we don't manage
We don't manage complaints about:
We will manage your complaint by:
- Letting you know we have received your complaint
- Assessing the nature of your complaint.
- Classifying and identifying the priority of your complaint.
- Reviewing the complaint against public safety, environmental and legislation requirements.
- Investigating your claims against compliance requirements using a variety of methods that may include inspections and audits.
- Closing the complaint.
- Advising you of the outcome.
All complaints are assessed equally.
We don't investigate trivial or vexatious complaints or those that lack substance or credibility eg. complaints that don't provide contact information or information that cannot be verified.
Closing a complaint
We will close your complaint, if after several attempts, we are unsuccessful trying to contact you to advise the outcome.
If you want information about the status of your complaint in the future, you will need to contact us and open a new complaint.
When will we contact you?
We will try to respond to you within two business days to acknowledge your complaint if your contact details were provided.
The way we manage your complaint depends on the:
- method you use to contact us
- complexity and classification of your complaint
- quality of the information you provide us with.
If you're not satisfied with the outcome
If you're unsatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you can discuss your concerns with the Director, Stakeholder Relations and Strategy or Executive Director, Earth Resources Regulation.
Seeking independent advice
For further advice you can contact the Victoria Mining Warden or Victorian Ombudsman.
The Victorian Mining Warden
The Victorian Mining Warden oversees the resolution of disputes between mining licensees and other parties.
The Victorian Ombudsman
The Victorian Ombudsman manages complaints about decisions, actions or inactions by a:
- state government department
- statutory authority
- local council private agency that carries out statutory responsibilities of government.
Page last updated: 13 May 2019