to Top

  • Share this page on Facebook
  • Print this page

Extractives (sand, stone and clay)

Applying for a licence online

To apply for a licence online, log in to the RRAM Business Portal using your RRAM login details.

If you do not have your RRAM login details or are unsure of your login details, contact RRAM Support.

For more information on submitting an application via RRAM, visit the RRAM web page or contact Earth Resources Regulation.Link to RRAM Business Portal

Mineral Resources  (Sustainable Development) Act 1990 (Vic)

The Mineral Resources  (Sustainable Development) Act 1990 (MR(SD)A) provides a  contemporary legislative framework for the development and regulation of:

  • the mineral exploration and mining industry,  including gold, coal, and mineral sands; and
  • extractive industries (quarries) for the  extraction of stone resources including gravel, sand, soil, building stone and  clay (but does not include fine clay, kaolin or salt). This is in combination  with land use controls under the Planning  and Environment Act 1987.

As of 1 January 2010,  Victoria's extractive industries are regulated under the MR(SD)A.

The MR(SD)A addresses licensing and approvals, and other issues including  compensation, rehabilitation and royalties for extractive industries, mineral  exploration and development activities.

The Act seeks to encourage an economically viable mining industry which makes  the best use of mineral resources in a way that is compatible with the  economic, social and environmental objectives of the State.. A series of  Regulations and guidelines also apply to mineral exploration and development  activities

Additionally, the MR(SD)A applies to the extraction or removal of stone from  land if the main purpose is for the sale or commercial use of the stone or for  use in construction, building, road or manufacturing works.

The MRSDA defines "extractive industry" as the extraction or  removal of  stone from land if the primary purpose of the extraction or removal  is  the sale or commercial use of the stone or the use of the stone in   construction, building, road or manufacturing works and includes:

  • the treatment of stone or the manufacture of  bricks, tiles,  pottery or cement products on or adjacent to land from  which the stone is  extracted; and
  • any place, operation or class of operation  declared by the  Minister to be an extractive industry.

The MRSDA defines "stone" as:

  • sandstone, freestone or other  building  stone; or
  • basalt, granite, limestone or rock of any kind  ordinarily  used for building, manufacturing, road making or construction  purposes; or
  • quartz (other than quartz crystals); or
  • slate or gravel; or
  • clay (other than fine clay, bentonite or  kaolin); or
  • sand, earth or soil; or
  • other similar materials.

Mineral Resources  (Sustainable Development) Act 1990

Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Interim Regulations 2018

Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development)(Extractive  Industries) Regulations 2010

Other Relevant Legislation

Mineral, extractive and  petroleum exploration and development activities are also subject to a range of  other Commonwealth and State legislation. Relevant Commonwealth legislation  includes the Native Title Act 1993, the Environment Protection and Biodiversity  Conservation Act 1999, and Part IIA of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander  Heritage Protection Act 1984.

Relevant Victorian legislation includes the Environment  Effects Act 1978, the Planning  and Environment Act 1987 and the Aboriginal  Heritage Act 2006.

Note: Commonwealth legislation  relating to beyond the 3 nautical mile limit no longer falls under the  Victorian jurisdiction. This is now administered by Commonwealth authorities - National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environment  Management Authority and the National Offshore Petroleum Titles Administrator.

Links to Legislation

Victorian Legislation

Go to "Legislation &  Bills" then select "Victorian Law Today" and search for desired Act or  Regulations alphabetically.

Search for desired Act under  'Act name search'.