to Top

  • Share this page on Facebook
  • Print this page

Notice of Application for a Prospecting Licence

Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Act 1990 – Section 15(5)
Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) (Mineral Industries) Interim Regulations 2018 - Regulation 22(1) and Schedule 8

1. Name and address of applicant(s)
2.Contact details of applicant for map and other information requests:


  1. The wording in sections 4 and 5 below is required to be included in the notice of application.
  2. A map clearly identifying the land to which the application relates must be included in the advertisement that appears in the newspaper /s circulating in the locality of the licence application area. This map must include relevant roads and place names.
3. Details of the application:
4. Objections:

Any person may object to a licence being granted. (Section 24, Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Act 1990).

A person who objects must:

  1. put the objection in writing; and
  2. include the grounds on which it is made.

All objections must be lodged within 21 days after the latest date on which the application was advertised and can be lodged online or posted to:

The Minister for Resources
c/- Team Leader Licensing
Earth Resources Regulation
GPO Box 2392
Melbourne Victoria 3000

It is recommended that objections are lodged online to ensure timely consideration.

Enquiries can be made by writing to the Team Leader Licensing at the above address or by phoning the Earth Resources Information Centre on 1300 366 356.

5. Other Statutory Requirements:
  1. Subject to other statutory requirements being satisfied, a prospecting licence, if granted, entitles the holder of the licence to prospect or explore for minerals, carry out mining on the relevant land, and do anything else that is incidental to that mining.
  2. Further information regarding the statutory requirements that must be complied with prior to work being undertaken on a licence, including landowner and occupier consent requirements, is available on the department's Internet site at: