to Top

  • Share this page on Facebook
  • Print this page

Community Information

Can an application for an exploration, retention, prospecting or mining licence be made in my community?

Yes. Exploration, retention, prospecting and mining licence applications can be made for all land in Victoria except national and state parks and wilderness areas.

How is community informed about a licence application?

At a minimum, the company must notify the public by placing an official notice in local and state newspapers. Prospecting licence applications are only required to be advertised in a local paper.

Other notices may include providing information at community events, via letter box drops or online.

Can I object to a licence?

Yes. You can object to a licence before the application is approved.

Your objection must be written, include the grounds relevant to the legislation and be sent within 21 days.

All objections and comments are considered before a decision is made whether to grant the licence.

Objections may cause additional conditions to be imposed on the licence holder. These may relate to technical requirements or issues the community is concerned about.

Register your objection or comment about a licence application.

What are the licensee's community engagement and consultation requirements?

The licensee must produce a community engagement (CE) plan that clearly identifies the community and describes how, when and what engagement will take place with that community during all stages of the project.

Note: Exploration licensees are not required to develop a CE plan although, like mining licensees, they have a duty to consult from exploration and operational phases through to rehabilitation.

The licensee must tell the community about activities authorised under the licence that may affect them and ensure they are provided with reasonable opportunities to express their views.

What varieties of consultation are used?

Consultation may include:

  • face-to-face meetings
  • notice boards
  • information flyers
  • telephone
  • written electronic surveys
  • hotline or phone-in opportunities
  • media advertising
  • invitations for submissions at public exhibitions or online.

Learn more about community engagement plans.