to Top

  • Share this page on Facebook
  • Print this page

How to register an objection to a minerals licence application

Our commitment to you

We are committed to having an effective and timely management system to meet the needs, expectations and rights of our stakeholders who may object to a Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Act 1990 (MRSDA) licence application.

Who can register an objection to a minerals licence application?

Any person can object to an application for a (MRSDA) licence being granted if the application is new and not a renewal of an existing licence. 

If you want to object to a new licence application, you can lodge a written objection online, by post or submit a written objection in person. 

Objections must be registered within 21 days after the latest date which the application was advertised. 

Your objection must provide:

  • the licence application number
  • the grounds on which your objection is made
  • your name and contact details.

How will I know about a pending licence application?

The MRSDA requires that all licence applications are advertised in the local paper(s). 

Exploration, retention and mining licences are also required to be advertised in a Wednesday edition of a Victorian state newspaper.

The application for a licence must contain information about:

  • the identity and contact details of the applicant
  • the date of application
  • online resource references about statutory requirement
  • links to additional information from the applicant
  • how to register an objection.

How do I lodge an objection?

You can lodge an objection online, by post, in writing or in person.

In person

You can submit your written objection to a licence at your local Earth Resources Regulation office.

Melbourne office
Earth Resources Information Centre
Level 15, 1 Spring Street
Melbourne VIC 3000

Ballarat office
402 Mair Street
Ballarat Central VIC 3350

Benalla office
89 Sydney Road
Benalla VIC 3672

Bendigo office
Midland Highway
Epsom VIC 3551

Traralgon office
55 Grey Street
Traralgon VIC 3844

Melbourne office operational information
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5.00 pm (excluding public holidays)

By telephone

T: 1300 366 356

By post

Team Leader Licencing
Statutory Authorisations and Technical Services
GPO Box 4509
Melbourne, Victoria 3001

How will my objection be considered? 

All written objections are assessed and considered before a decision is made on whether to grant a licence.

How we manage your objection 

The way we assess your objection:

1. review and evaluate your concerns;
2. discuss the issues with our inspectors; and
3. make recommendations to the Minister or the Minister's Delegate (MD).

When will you hear from us? 

When we receive your objection we'll send you an acknowledgement letter within seven business days.

If you lodge an anonymous objection without contact details, we cannot notify you that we have received your objection.

What happens next?

After the applicant has met all of the other legislative requirements, the Minister or the MD considers:

  • the issues raised in your objection
  • details related to your objection
  • work proposed on the licence related to your objection
  • potential impact of the application on the community.

We will advise you of the outcome of the licence assessment and the Minister's or MDs decision.

If you're not satisfied

If you are unsatisfied about our decision you can contact the Victorian Mining Warden for further advice. 

The mining warden oversees the resolution of disputes between MRSDA licensees and other parties if they are not successful reaching a suitable agreement.

Learn more about the jurisdiction of the Victorian Mining Warden.

Need to know more?


Metropolitan Melbourne region
Licensing Officer
1 Spring Street, Melbourne, Victoria, 3000
Phone: (03) 9092 1959

North west region
Licensing Officer
7 Taylor Street, Epsom VIC 3551Phone: (03) 5430 4695

South west region
Licensing Officer
402 Mair Street, Ballarat, Central Victoria, 3350
Phone: (03) 5336 6806

North east region
Licensing Officer
89 Sydney Road, Benalla, Victoria, 3672
Phone: (03) 5761 1503

Gippsland Region
Licensing Officer
55 Grey Street, Taralgon, Victoria, 3844
Phone: (03) 5160 9015

How we manage your privacy

Freedom of Information

Learn about how we manage your privacy.

Related articles